Recognizing National Mental Health Awareness Month
According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), 1 in 6 youth aged 6-17 experience a mental health condition each year. Despite this, stigma associated with mental health conditions and seeking mental health care means that many youth suffer in silence.
Change to Chill is working to end mental health stigma, and we need your help to do it! Here are a few ways YOU can join us in the fight against stigma:
- Start by educating yourself on stigma, including the ways culture impacts stigma and the connection between stress and identity.
- Be mindful of the language you use to talk about mental health.
- Engage others in dialogue about mental health and stigma using our conversation starters.
- Practice being an active listener, especially with those you see struggling.
- Consider sharing your story around mental health and well-being. Use this checklist to think through why you are sharing your story and how you will be supported.
Mental Well-Being Resources for All Ages
Did you know that Allina Health has mental well-being resources for folks of all ages? You’re probably most familiar with Change to Chill, which focuses on youth ages 13-19, but we’ve got 2 sister programs we encourage you to check out as well!
Health Powered Kids focuses on youth ages 3-14, with lesson plans to help kids Be Active, Keep Clean, Find Balance and Eat Well. Examples of their well-being resources include:
- What We Can Do to Stress Less
- Learning Mindfulness Through Movement
- Self-Esteem and Body Image Activities for Kids
Hello4Health is a resource for adults, with tools and activities to help build or strengthen social connections. Examples of resources include: